[Debichem-devel] Dropping GL for xmakemol

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Tue Nov 1 17:54:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

While looking at Ubuntu patches for Debichem packages I noticed that
Ubuntu does not build xmakemol-gl (for some reason I have not figured
out exactly yet - possibly the Motif libraries are not GL-enabled due to
some main/universe split-issue).

In the end, I wonder whether we need the GL version at all.  Anybody who
wants pretty pictures will not go to xmakemol for that.  I tried to use
xmakemol with (parts of) a protien with 1500 atoms - the regular version
was pretty unsuable and the GL version was doing somewhat better, but
not snappy either.  I guess for those sizes, pymol or any other
biomolecule viewer is better suited.

Anybody objects to dropping xmakemol-gl (but providing an upgrade path
of course) and/or have some opinions/arguments?

Michael