[Debichem-devel] USPP-7.3.6 GPL license and additional restrictions

David Vanderbilt dhv at physics.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 5 02:12:23 UTC 2012

Michael,

Thanks for bringing this contradiction to my attention.  You are
right that Item 4 in the AA-README is no longer applicable, and has
not been ever since I first released the code under GPL.

I think I understood you to say that such a clarification (as I wrote
above) is all you need, and I don't need to actually fix the AA-README
file in the distribution, at least not right away.  (I'll certainly
make a note to fix it in the next distribution, whenever that might
be.)  Is that correct?

David

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, Michael Banck wrote:

> Dear Prof. Vanderbilt,
>
> I had a look at http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/uspp/ in order to
> assess how to distribute reasonable default pseudo-potentials for use in
> ABINIT and PWSCF for the Debian distribution.
>
> The source distribution of USPP[1] includes the file Source/LICENSE
> pointing at the GPLv2, and a source-code header comment in earch Fortran
> file stating the file is licensing under the GPL[2].
>
> However, the top-level AA-README file states the following restrictions:
>
> |1. The code is not guaranteed to be bug-free.
> |
> |2. The quality of the pseudopotentials generated by the provided input
> |   files is not guaranteed.
> |
> |3. No active support is provided for this package.
> |
> |4. The code may not be used for profit-making purposes or
> |   included in any commercial code except by express arrangement.
>
> Point 4 is very problematic and incompatible with the GPL, effectively
> making it illegal/impossible to redistribute USPP.  On the above
> website, this fourth restriction is not present, could you advice on its
> status?
>
> If this fourth restriction is indeed (no longer) applicable, it would be
> fine for USPP to be shipped as part of Debian (or Ubuntu).  I guess a
> new release would not be necessary for this change as the source code is
> very clear that it is under the GPLv2.
>

> Many thanks and best regards,
>
> Michael
>

> [1] http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/uspp/uspp-736-0.tgz
>
> [2] As an aside, unless you want to explicitly forbid usage of your code
> under newer versions of the GPL (notably GPLv3), it is advised to state
> that source code is licensed under the "GPL version 2 or any later
> version"

Prof. David Vanderbilt               Phone: (732) 445-5500 x2514
Department of Physics and Astronomy  Fax:   (732) 445-4400
Rutgers University                   Email:  dhv at physics.rutgers.edu
136 Frelinghuysen Road               http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019   USA