[Debichem-devel] Also candidate to new package: MDAnalysis

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sat Mar 10 13:58:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:00:54PM +0100, Sébastien Buchoux wrote:
> The last message from Michael about Grompy reminded me that I made
> packages that desperately need a kind support...
>
> MDAnalysis is a python toolkit to analyze Molecular Dynamics
> trajectories (See http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.21787 for details).
> I think it would be a good addition to the Debian archive.
>
> As a reminder, here are the three packages that need care:
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-mdanalysis (main package)
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-mdanalysis.tests (test data)
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-griddataformats (dependency)
>
> All three packages does not contain any big patch nor fat "rules"
> file (just vanilla debhelper) so it should be rather straightforward
> to review them.

I took a look at python-griddataformats for starters, the only thing I
noticed is the Description - it looks like the short description is just
the first sentence of the overall description:

 It contains a class ('Grid') to handle data on a regular grid [...]

I think you should come up with a better short description, maybe
"Python module for grid data formats" or so, and push the current short
description ("GridDataFormats provides the Python package 'gridData'.")
to the long description.

Do you want to maintain MDAnalysis as part of Debichem?  You're a team
member already anyway I believe?

Michael