[Debichem-devel] Indigo and Debian packages

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sun Nov 25 14:01:39 UTC 2012

Hi Mikhail,

thanks for contacting me and sorry for the late reply :-/

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 02:42:52PM +0400, Mikhail Rybalkin wrote:
> I'm leading Indigo project at GGA Software company, and would to
> thank you for your great job in maintaining Debain packages for
> Indigo!
>
> I found your conversation here where you mentioned that we have
> switched to cmake and you need some time to update Indigo debian
> package: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=690275

In the end, no changes will be needed in the cmake files I guess, but I
had to override a couple of variables to get it to build:

cmake -DUSE_SYSTEM_ZLIB=YES -DUSE_SYSTEM_PNG=YES -DUSE_SYSTEM_CAIRO=YES
-DCAIRO_LIBRARY_DIRS=/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
-DUSE_SYSTEM_PIXMAN=YES -DPIXMAN_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/pixman-1
-DPIXMAN_LIBRARY_DIRS=/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
-DLIBPIXMAN=libpixman-1.so

Some of those are due to different file layout in Debian as we are using
/usr/include/pixman-1 for the pixman header files and the multi-arch
library directory for cairo.

One possibility would be to use pkg-config in cmake for cairo in order
to automatically discover where the cairo headers and library are.

> Could we change our building scripts in order to simplify creating
> debian packages? Maybe we can configure cmake to generate debian
> packages automatically in the format that you need for the Debian
> project?

This is usually not recommended, unless the project is only useful to
Debian and nobody else, which is not the case for indigo.

One thing which would really help would be to better version the indigo
library, though maybe you are not concerned about it as upstream.

We assigned "libindigo.so.0d" for now (the d stands for debian), the
question is whether indigo-1.1 is backwards-compatible with indigo-1.0?
I check the library symbols and it was not very clear.  If there is no
backward compatibility, we will have to bump the library name to
libindigo.so.1d.

Best regards,

Michael