[Debichem-devel] VOTCA available on my PPA

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Dec 13 14:35:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:22:50PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > I usually prefer git, but svn is fine, too. What is easier to use?
>
> I find subversion easier to use, but that probably mostly because I
> haven't really wrapped my head around git for Debian packaging yet.

I'm standing with one foot in SVN with my other in Git land while more
weight is certainly left on SVN side.  I needed to learn the Git
workflow since several Debian Med team members switched and I think it
would be a bad idea to refuse the Git addictives from the team.  I can
confirm that after some trouble in the beginning I got auite adapted
also to Git.

> > svn has svn-buildpackage, right? Is there something similar for git?
> > Is there a guide on how to get started?
>
> There's git-buildpackage, but the general "issue" with git and Debian
> packaging is that there is no one-true work-flow on how to do it.

If you are looking for some git workflow you might like to inspect
Debian Med team policy at

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

and seek for the term git.  Recently Debian GIS people adapted this
document to their needs and I'd regard it quite resonable if DebiChem
would create a comparable document.  It might make sense if we would
share some common portions between these policy documents of Debian
Med, Debian GIS and Debian Science.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--