[Debichem-devel] VOTCA available on my PPA

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sun Dec 22 23:43:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 02:55:04PM -0600, Christoph Junghans wrote:
> I finalize found the time to make the first steps to package VOTCA for Debian.
> The source/binary builds are available on
> <https://launchpad.net/~ottxor/+archive/votca>.
>
> Please have a look and help me to improve it, so that I can hand it
> over to debichem soon.

I took a look at votca-tools now (as this is a Build-Depends for
votca-csg and has to be uploaded first).  I see the following issues:

1. The -dev package is named libvotca-tools2-dev, i.e. includes the
soversion.  This is discouraged (but unfortunately the library
maintainer's guide advocated it at least last time I looked), unless a
project is very widely used and switching all programs using it
immediately is not feasable (like for GTK1->GTK2, oder Qt4->Qt5). I
understand that Ubuntu ships it, but I would rather rename it to
libvotca-tools-dev and either let Ubuntu deal with it, or add
compatibility Replaces/Conflicts/Provides for it.

2. votca-tools ships a convenience copy of boost.  Either it needs to be
stripped off the tarball (i.e. the tarball needs to be repackaged), or
the boost license and copyright needs to be added to debian/copyright.

Finally, I suggest adding an debian/upstream file with some metadata and
the prime publications, I can do that.

Michael