[Debichem-devel] VOTCA available on my PPA

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Fri Dec 27 22:01:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 03:12:44PM -0700, Christoph Junghans wrote:
> 2013/12/23 Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org>:
> > Another thing to consider if the package has not shipped in Ubuntu
> > proper so far would be to maybe start over with the Debian changelog,
> > but I leave that up to you.
>
> Whatever you debian guys like, I am happy to drop the current changelog.

Ok.

> >> VOTCA ships a pristine tarball already:
> >> https://votca.googlecode.com/files/votca-tools-1.2.3_pristine.tar.gz
> >> and on my PPA, I have used that one to create the debian package.
> > Ah, ok.  I think I saw that in passing a while back but by the time I
> > looked at the package I had forgotten about it.
>
> Where would I note that in the debian files? The next release (1.3)
> will not bundle boost anymore.

Implicitly we can add a debian/watch file which points at the right
upstream URL (via a regex), Daniel is really good at it and usually adds
them when he has time.

Explicitly, the file debian/README.source could contain that
information

But if you drop it upstream anyway, then it is probably not worth the
hassle having to change things back for the next release.

It's not a bug anyway.

> >> Once we have converged, I will add the debian folder to our admin
> >> repository.
> > That is usually discouraged (if you mean the code repository on Google
> > code), as it makes it more difficult to add Debian changes on top of a
> > release, if they are required by a new Debian policy, e.g.  Also, it
> > makes it difficult to synchronize the Debian packaging with the regular
> > release.
> >
> > The only exception are native packages, which are developped especially
> > for Debian, but even in that case, a lot of packages ship an upstream
> > source and the Debian diff.
>
> Sorry, I misread, wrong direction of thought!
> I added an upstream file with some fields in votca-{tools,csg}.

Cool!

I'll try to look over the package again when I find time, I am a bit
busy right now, sorry.

Michael