[Debichem-devel] Looking for sponsor to promote a new package OSRA

Dmitry Katsubo dma_k at mail.ru
Fri Dec 19 01:27:59 UTC 2014

On 16/12/2014 22:59, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 15.12.2014, 17:47 +0100 schrieb Dmitry Katsubo:
>
>> I am looking for mentor/sponsor who can help me with packaging of the
>> project OSRA (http://sourceforge.net/p/osra/). Most of work is already
>> done, and all necessary basic things are in trunk. However I need
>> somebody to make a review and help in fixing further issues.
>
> Well, I did the work in
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/wnpp/osra/, see also
> http://bugs.debian.org/682760. Maybe you want to compare your work and
> also take over #682760.
>
> Which issues are left?

So pity that we both put efforts on the same thing.

> Well, basically I'd offer you sponsoring, as I already tried to package
> OSRA.
>
> But I need to see your work. At best you have an alioth account and
> apply for the debichem team, so we can give you permissions to upload to
> our SVN/GIT repository. You can then make your own path at sf.net [1] an
> svn:external definition (or vice-versa). How would you like to proceed?

Phh. A bit difficult for me to catch. The debian packaging is part of
upstream and I can commit there. I can create GitHub repo to keep Debian
part -- but let's discuss what benefits it brings. I that case I would
vote for moving of whole upstream to GutHub -- it simplifies pulling
patches. Ah, I see that there is another replica:

https://github.com/metamolecular/osra.git

I am now not sure how to handle this to make everyone happy. I CC to
Igor - maybe he would have something to add.

> JFTR: How did you solve
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=582575? That issue was
> holding back OSRA for a long time.

Well, I solved it locally :) And what is more upsetting, there was a
solution in 2010. But now I feel I have energy to push it to the end.
Here is GOCR 0.50, which produces libgocr-dev_0.50-1_i386.deb :

https://copy.com/6XMPCRvb4fP6ue1Z

Having that package installed, building OSRA is smooth. I have emailed
to Cosimo Alfarano <kalfa at debian.org> asking to apply changes and roll
out v0.50 of GOCR, but haven't received a reply. Maybe it's Christmas
time :) But do we have plan B concerning how to "force" this change in
Debian repo?

Now jumping to points where I need help (lintian errors):

E: osra: helper-templates-in-copyright
I can't get what's wrong with debian/copyright

E: libosra1: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/libosra.so.1.0.20000
How can I learn which functions have non PIC code?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards,
Dmitry