[Debichem-devel] alioth-based debichem.git seems to be un-clonable ?

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jan 16 08:19:43 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:06:55PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi Filippo,
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 08:24:27PM +0100, Filippo Rusconi wrote:
> > I am trying to clone the debichem.git repos at
> > alioth:/git/debichem/debichem.git but this is what I get when issuing
> > this command:
> >
> > git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/debichem/debichem.git
> > Cloning into 'debichem'...
> > warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
> > Checking connectivity... done.
>
> I have to admit I haven't tried that yet, nor do I remember from the top
> of my head who setup the git repository back then (it wasn't me).
>
> Did this work before?

Perhaps it is exactly what it says:

   "You appear to have cloned an empty repository."

On git.debian.org I get

$ LC_ALL=C ls -l /git/debichem/debichem.git/objects/pack
total 0

Without having deeper knowledge about Git this supports the statement
above.

> > rusconi at roma:/tmp$ ls -la debichem/
> > total 12
> > drwxr-xr-x  3 rusconi rusconi 4096 Jan 15 20:21 .
> > drwxrwxrwt 14 root    root    4096 Jan 15 20:22 ..
> > drwxr-xr-x  7 rusconi rusconi 4096 Jan 15 20:21 .git
> >

> > Note that
> >
> > git clone lopippo at git.debian.org:/git/debichem/packages/massxpert.git
> >
> > works just fine with the usual output:
> >
> > remote: Counting objects: 12799, done.
> > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2412/2412), done.
> >
> > What is going on, have I missed something ?

Since packages/massxpert.git is just not empty ...

> Could be that it never really worked and people are supposed to checkout
> package-specific repositories.

As far as I have seen people working with Git they all use
package-specific repositories (in contrast to SVN).

> Maybe one of the people on this list who are affiliated with other
> groups (debian-med, debian-science) using git can comment on whether
> this is supposed to work in general.

IMHO everything works as expected:  If there is no content in a Git
repository you get an empty one.  I'd recommend at least droping a
README or removing the repository if it is unused.

Hope this helps

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de