[Debichem-devel] Dh-autoreconf for new version of abinit

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jan 23 07:53:19 UTC 2014

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:30:58AM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> That usually means, some definition (e.g. in an .m4 file) is missing.
> `autoreconf -fvi' clearly shows this error appearing in the fallbacks/
> sub-directory and indeed, fallbacks/configure.ac misses to define, where
> to find .m4 files (the definitions are in
> fallbacks/config/m4/auto-fallbacks.m4). You need to add
> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR(), so fallbacks/configure.ac looks like this:
>
> [..]
> AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([config/gnu])
> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([config/m4])
> AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([.])
> [..]
>
> Now it works.

Ahhh, thanks for the enlightening.

> However. To me it looks like, libtool isn't even used. So
> no need to do an autoreconf here (IMHO).

I simply realised kind of mass bug filing requesting autoreconf - IMHO
even for packages that are not using libtool.  I will not force
autoreconf into the package as long as nobody might reopen #545054.

> > Another reason to use autoreconf is that it might be that it gets the
> > build system right to propagate hardening options.  It seems to be a bit
> > tricky since I was seeking for the place where the LDFLAGS are
> > configured but failed in the current build system files.
>
> ./configure [options] CFLAGS=... [..] LDFLAGS=...
>
> This is an autotools based build system. So LDFLAGS is usually supported
> out-of-the-box. Do you have reason to suspect otherwise?

Yes: -Wl,-z,relro is not propagated to the build options.

Usually it boils down to grep inside the build system for libraries
linked (here we have -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath) and check whether
LDFLAGS are somehow prevented at these places.  But in abinit I can not
find the actual libraries which are somehow "magically" inserted.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de