[Debichem-devel] Hardening flags (was: Dh-autoreconf for new version of abinit)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jan 23 08:40:30 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:58:34PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:

> Well, I have not really spent any time so far trying to figure out the
> hardening flags.  I can see how this is useful for the default install
> and/or web applications etc.,

Can you be sure that command line tools like abinit is providing would
not be included into any Web-UI?

> but I don't see that much usefulness for
> scientific applications - especially when it means figuring out tricky
> build systems.

I agree that I never cared for instance in case of R packages since the
R cdbs build system is tricky and the maintainer is not happy about
patches so I simply lived with the no-hardening lintian warnings.

However in most cases I gad to deal with the trick to get it was very
simple and thus I think it makes sense to get some experience in advance
before at some point in time somebody might raise hardening as release
goal (just speculating).  In short: I have no problems in principle to
upload a package without hardening - but if it comes cheap why not
caring for it.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--