[Debichem-devel] updated python-ase / gpaw

Graham Inggs graham at nerve.org.za
Fri Jul 24 15:53:20 UTC 2015

On 24/07/2015 16:53, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I noticed that ase also should work with Python 3 and thus added a
> Python 3 package.

OK.  I had read that Python3 wasn't supported yet [1]:

The following packages are required for basic ASE functionality:

     1. Python2 version 2.6 or newer. Python3 is not supported yet.
     2. NumPy.

>    Unfortunately 1 of 142 fails.  Would you mind having a look into this?

Weird, I tried building and it passed all the tests (although that was
with Python 3.4, not 3.5 as is in unstable).
I did get hundreds of Lintian warnings though, e.g.
W: python-ase source: binaries-have-file-conflict python-ase python3-ase
usr/bin/ase-build

Is this normal for packages that produce Python2 and Python3 binaries?

What about the recommended packages; python-gtk2, python-matplotlib and
python-scipy?
Should those become python3-matplotlib and python3-scipy?  It seems that
there is no python3-gtk2.

I must admit I am not comfortable with this change you have made.

[1] https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/ase/download.html#requirements