[Debichem-devel] RFS: libchemps2/1.4-1 -- spin-adapted DMRG for ab initio quantum chemistry

Sebastian Wouters sebastianwouters at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:39:55 UTC 2015

Hi Michael,

I have now also added the python package: python-chemps2:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debichem/packages/libchemps2.git/

Is there anything else I can do?

Best wishes,
Sebastian

> Dear Michael,
>
> I responded inline:

>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> sorry for the delay, I've now partly reviewed your packaging, see below.
>>
>> On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 06:42:04PM -0400, Sebastian Wouters wrote:
>> > I updated the git repository on debichem with the new upstream v1.5:
>> > http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debichem/packages/libchemps2.git/
>> >
>> > If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

>> Do you have any insight on their releases and/or release schedule? Their
>> last release was beta5, so I hope they did not go back to alpha?  Also,
>> a new beta (or gamma, or final) release looks overdue, I hope it happens
>> soonsih.
>>
>> I haven't tried to build your package yet, but as there is "only" a
>> library and development library, how exactly is the PSI4 integration
>> working?  I see a few relevant source files in integrals/psi4plugins
>> which are also mentioned on your website.  Does this mean the current
>> packaging does not actually include the integration, or is this
>> something we should do on the PSI4 package side?
>>

> Lori Burns from the psi4 project told me she e-mailed you in response to
> this question:
>
> * They will go from "psi4 beta 5 or 6" to "psi4 1.0.0" soon. They are
> cleaning up their code right now.
>
> * The cmake build system of psi4 (in their private github branch)
> currently downloads the v1.5-tagged version of chemps2 from github, builds
> the static library, and uses this library in the project. Ideally, when
> psi4 1.x.y gets packaged for debian, it will rely on the libchemps2 which
> is (might be) already in the repository.

>> some
>>
>> So here are my remarks:
>>
>> 1. I would sugget you put "Debichem Team <
>> debichem-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>"
>> in the Uploaders: field and yourself in Maintainers:.  That still
>> ensures that you are maintaining it, but bug reports will go to the
>> debichem-devel lists so others can act on it as well.
>>

> Done.
>

>> 2. You should add a directory debian/upstream and a file
>> debian/upstream/metadata in it.  In there, you can add (i) the homepage,
>> (ii) a reasonable amount of papers you think are useful to your users
>> and possibly a link to a page with further papers. You can check the
>> CP2K's upstream metadata file as a template here:
>>

>> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/cp2k/debian/upstream/metadata?revision=5604&view=markup
>>
>> I think http://sebwouters.github.io/CheMPS2/publications.html would be a
>> good candidate for the Other-References: field.
>>

> Done.
>

>> 3. Drop the second item from the changelog ;)
>>

> Done.
>

>> 4. I think we should go all-in and build the HTML documentation out of
>> sphinx instead of just shipping .rst files.
>>
>> In any case, I think it would be better to attach the docs explictly to
>> one package, right now I believe they go in every package?

> [...]

  dr. ir. Sebastian Wouters
  Fellow of the Belgian American Educational Foundation
  Princeton University
  (address) Department of Chemistry
            Frick Laboratory 351
            Princeton, NJ 08544, USA