[Debichem-devel] Chemical drawing program

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Fri Oct 9 16:26:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:55:01AM +0200, Wasserthal wrote:
> I have written a new chemical drawing program which is intended to
> have uttermost compatibility to the cambridgesoft formats.
> It is also optimized in regard to running speed, opening large
> files, and a small program footprint.

Nice!

> I created a working debian directory in it and adapted it to a recent
> version of debian
>
> As I am no registered debian contributor and never contributed a
> whole project before, I must ask you to add it to your archive or
> tell me if there are problems with this project.

The Debichem project has packaged a few drawing programs already, see

http://blends.debian.org/debichem/tasks/view-edit-2d

Some of them are quite old/unmaintained or not very user-friendly, so
having a really good one would be welcome.  I think bkchem is probably
the best we have for now, but its author has abondened it.

We either maintain the debian/ directory on its own in subversion (see
e.g. http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/bkchem/ ) or the
whole project in git, then usually with a different packaging branch
which contains the debian/ directory I think.

If you want to maintain lhendraw for Debian as part of the Debichem
project, you should (i) create a (guest-) account on alioth
(https://alioth.debian.org) and (ii) request membership in the Debichem
project (https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debichem/ - there should be
a button for this in the lower right)

> It can be found at www.github.com/Wasserthal/lhendraw

There's been quite some activity recently which is great!

However, there is not much documentation there. Are the screenshots from
http://www.nefkom.net/wasserthal/lhendraw.html still current?  How easy
is it to use for end-users?

I won't have much time over the weekend but I will try to review your
packaging next week.

Cheers,

Michael