[Debichem-devel] chemps2 1.8.3-2

Sebastian Wouters sebastianwouters at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:02:38 UTC 2016

Hi Graham,

> I've uploaded chemps2 1.8.3-2.  Have you considered becoming a Debian
> Maintainer [1]?
> I would gladly advocate you and grant you upload rights for chemps2.

Thank you for your confidence.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have left academia and currently work in
industry. I'm happy to continue to maintain the chemps2 source and the
debian package, but at the moment I have no ambition to become a debian
maintainer or developer. I also feel I pursue the trial and error method in
packaging, without properly studying the guidelines, so for now it's
perfect the way things are going: prepping the package for your review. On
top of that, my job in industry doesn't involve using linux, nor does it
involve programming, so in time I might become less familiar with both. (I
am still happily using ubuntu at home though :-).)

Related to this: the current chemps2 source is a long-term stable version,
and (except on request of close former collaborators) I won't add new
features anytime soon. Maintenance of the source and the package will
therefore be (mainly) limited to bug fixes and/or debian standard changes.

But I do understand that it might be somewhat cumbersome for you to review
and upload the package each time changes are made. So if you feel, taking
the above in account, that it would still be better that I become
responsible for the upload, then I will accept.

Best wishes,
Sebastian