[Debichem-devel] jmol: diff for NMU version 12.2.32+dfsg2-1.1

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Sun Dec 11 10:00:00 UTC 2016

+Vincent, the jalview maintainer

Andreas Tille:

600 https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=jmol
300 https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=jalview
70 https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=biojava4-live
90 https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=biojava3-live

>> So we have a few options:
>>
>> 1. Keep everything old in Debian, and SageMath out of Debian stable.
>
> No.

Thanks for this input, I also feel it doesn't make sense to add software that is already 4 years old to Debian stable, where newer versions exist. They will be 6 years old by the time a new stable comes out, the value to users would be very low.

>> 2. Update Jmol in Debian, with a chance of SageMath entering Debian stable, but drop biojava4 and jalview from Debian stable. (They can remain broken in unstable, with a chance of fixing them later, ofc)
>> 3. Update Jmol in Debian, and update biojava4 and jalview as well.
>
> 4. Update Jmol in Debian, and update biojava4 and drop outdated jalview
>    (by at least starting the new dependencies and trying to upgrade
>    jalview) and have the chance of SageMath entering Debian stable.
>
>> If I work on (3) I don't think I will have any time to properly work on (2), but that is where my main personal interest lies. I'm also wondering what you all prefer, too.
>
> May be 4 is a sensible compromise if we could live with backporting
> the latest version of Jalview later.

I agree and I'll be happy to move forward on this. Reminding everyone of the release schedule: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/11/msg00002.html

- The deadline for packages-in-testing to be updated by a newer unstable version is ~Jan 25
- The deadline for new packages to enter testing, is ~Dec 25.
  - This includes packages that are in unstable, that were/will removed from testing for QA reasons. (e.g. Jmol 12)
  - This also includes time passing through the NEW queue, for new packages.

In summary:

- Jmol 14 must be uploaded to unstable by ~Dec 25
- biojava4, jalview must be uploaded to unstable by ~Jan 25
- jalview's extra dependencies must be uploaded to unstable (NEW) by ~Dec 20 or ideally earlier, to give FTP masters a few days to process it.

So it's much harder to make this work for jalview. Apologies in advance to any jalview Debian stable users that might be reading this.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git