[Debichem-devel] What about SVN to Git migration

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Mon Dec 4 21:01:38 UTC 2017

Hi Nicholas,

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 09:56:35AM -0800, Nicholas Breen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 07:17:46PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Nicholas, ping - what do you think about SVN -> Git migration of
> > gromacs?
>
> I have no particularly strong opinions.  I've been happy leaving it on SVN
> while it remains an option simply because I'm more familiar with it, but which
> particular VCS is used is not a significant concern.

While there were people who expressed some **hope** that **somehow** SVN
will remain possible after the Alioth move **somehow** I have never read
about a volunteer who has the time and hardware to realise this hope.
So my strong advise is to move from SVN to Git with high priority since
any migration process takes longer than expected.  The Debian Med team
is closed to finished and I feel pretty save that we will manage to
finalise this until end of the year.  But it is not really time to think
about this.  Either you know somebody who **guarantees** that SVN
remains possible and this will be proven in an Alioth-SVN to
SOME_ALTERNATIVE-SVN soon or you should migrate to Git.

> The 2018~beta1 upstream release should not be uploaded, however.  It's a very
> early beta and not suitable for packaging yet, even in experimental.

What about ignoring "~beta\d" versions in watch file to not get this kind
of false alarms about new upstream versions?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de