[Debichem-devel] Gromacs migration to Git (Was: What about SVN to Git migration)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Dec 12 09:58:49 UTC 2017

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 09:20:37AM +0000, Mark Abraham wrote:

> I assume you're referring to my recent post about possibly packaging our
> latest beta. Our primary motivation is to get the build tested on a wider
> range of platforms than we already have in our CI. We have portability and
> correctness as high priorities, and a user base that regularly takes a
> released tarball and uses it on some platform that we didn't anticipate
> when we released it a few years ago (in an annual cycle). That GROMACS just
> builds and runs on whatever your new shiny supercomputer is gave us big
> market share in Japan (because we were the only major MD code that could
> run on the chips in the K computer), and our never-been-tested-before
> performance on the new Cavium ARM nodes that are still just coming out was
> mentioned multiple times by others at the recent SuperComputing17
> conference. Props to DebiChem for helping us with some of the early
> portability testing on ARM and Power!
>
> Hope that helps inform your decision!

Thanks for the additional information.  To explain what I mean is the
following:  We have several dynamic pages in the Debian ecosystem that
are displaying information like "new version available".  I observed
since some time that this is the case for gromacs but Nicholas said that
he does not intend to package *that specific* beta version.  So these
pages are somehow issuing a false alarm which I would like to avoid.
Thus my plan was to ignore any beta release in those automatic
sentinels.  For sure it is really helpful if you explicitly tell us:
This beta is worth packaging.  I'm not regularly involved in gromacs
packaging but if any of the upstreams I'm working together with I would
make sure that the package will be build and uploaded soon.  We just
can do it without these automatic warning mechanism.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de