[Debichem-devel] Git migration on February 4th 2018

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert at wgdd.de
Tue Feb 6 11:15:13 UTC 2018

Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 10:56:04PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
>> Created but not uploaded have been avogadro and rdkit:
>> https://people.debian.org/~dleidert/debichem/
>> For these packages the Git repositories currently on git.d.o have been
>> created with git-svn, dropping branches/history and all tags. Whereas
>> the latter can be fixed by manually adding them, I wonder, if we should
>> import the repositories created by svn-all-fast-export to
>> salsa.debian.org and then import the changes Adreas did to these
>> packages by simply importing the .dsc file with git-buildpackage. And
>> then remove their repositories on git.debian.org.
>
> I'm fine with throwing away my SVN -> Git migration may be some
>    git format-patch  ->  git am
> might be the easiest way to import latest changes (but droping full
> history and doing a single commit might be fine as well.

When I wrote my mail, I missed another way of achieveing my goal: IMO it
should also work to clone the target (the new) Git repo, add the repo at
git.debian.org as a remote-branch, checkout this branch, merge it into the
master and then push this master to salsa.d.o. This way also the tags
you've added and the commits you've done on git.d.o should be kept. I've
done the same when recently merging debichem.git produced from subversion
and uploaded to salsa with the stuff Michael kept in the debichem.git
repository at git.d.o.

> The only repository where some care might be needed is avogadro where
> I've created a qt5 branch with an *unfinished* Qt5 porting attempt.

I'll test, if I can simply import this branch too, and report back here.

Regards, Daniel