[Debichem-devel] Looking for a mentor -- multiscale molecular modeling package MMB (and molmodel)

Samuel Flores samuelfloresc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:14:58 GMT 2020

Hi Andreas and Andrius,

I guess we got stalled when the OpenMM guys declined to support debian
packages. At the time it was against my religion to fork supported
packages, but I have had a change of heart. I really only use the
neighborlisting function of OpenMM, and anyway I can always update the
local fork. So what I decided to do is just add the entire OpenMM
repository to the 3rdparty directory of my MMB git repo.  Also I put MMB on
the MIT license to comply with Debian's guidelines. Were these the main
stumbling blocks?

In the many months since we last spoke, I have also created a docker
container (samuelflores/mmb-ubuntu). I just set this  to compile MMB from
the 3rdparty directory -- a simple change which hopefully will build soon
on dockerhub. Assuming that goes well the Dockerfile should be a good model
for compiling with apt-get. There are a couple of people in Prague
contributing new code, and I have also taken on a couple of MS students so
there should be advances this summer on the code. So in short -- the
project has advanced substantially in the past few months and I think it is
in a good place for packaging.

I wonder if we can pick up the packaging project again?  Hopefully this
will go smoothly now that things have been worked on for a while.

With kind regards,

Sam