[Debootloaders-miboot] install power mac 6500

rob rob stinkysnooky at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 23:12:23 UTC 2006

Hi,
first of all thank you guys for keeping debian alive on old world macs.
first starters, I'm in the process of setting up a power macintosh 6500/275
as a sort of client in my home network. I already have debian sarge with a
2.6.8 kernel running over bootx, but never being satisfied I want to boot
straight into linux that's how I came upon your project. I've tried quik
but, which boots but then crashes as soon as I get to the console. I really
don't want to try netbsd, but then again reading what kinds of problems
y'all have been having with the debian people...
So, I got the boot.img from ~wouter built rendered them to floppy as
explained in aeh.db.org/howto/linux-powerpc-820. here I got a segmentation
fault but the hexdump ended with something along the lines of mac bootdisk,
so I assume it was correct. Anyway I popped it into my floppy drive. That it
even booted from floppy was a miracle as I haven't even been able to get the
free system 7.5.1 from macintosh to boot that way. However, I got a big fat
red x through my penguin after a minute. I tried the beta 3 boot.img as well
as the latest, oldest and one in the middle. The only difference I got was
that one of the boot sequences turned into a sort of negative.
Anyway, I don't know how to make a proper bug report for this one guys, but
maybe you can help me anyway.
salut, rob