[Debootloaders-miboot] Proposal for continued development

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Sep 26 16:09:58 UTC 2006

Hello. I was just alerted to the existence of this list, and have now
subscribed. To refresh you (the subscribers) on some of my views on the
matter it concerns, I refer you to the following thread, especially the
first message:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/03/msg00091.html

That message also references two all-important earlier messages, but
through mail-archive.com, which seems to have disappeared. Here are
alternate links to those messages:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.nubus-pmac.users/220

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.nubus-pmac.users/409

There was one more subsequent relevant message:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.nubus-pmac.users/893

Also following the thread on debian-powerpc, the discussion continued
off-list concerning mainly technical details, until it was finally
reduced to a brief exchange only between Piotr and myself, concluding
with a message from me to him letting him know that he found the means
by which the goals outlined in my February message above may be
achieved in a way that could mesh with the task of "freeing" miBoot. I
propose establishing a separate, for-the-time-being nonfree SVN branch
of miBoot and BootX that would initially focus on the tasks enumerated
in my February message, pursuing a path that would eventually converge
with the one the current branch takes. That way, the development
process may be "multi-threaded" to a greater degree. Any thoughts?
--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"