[Debtags-devel] Debtags is great.

Thaddeus H. Black t at b-tk.org
Tue Jul 19 14:36:01 UTC 2005

Debtags is great.  Debian culture frowns on
sentimentality, I know; but would you permit me to speak
sentimentally of the matter just for a moment?

As most of you know, beginning about a year before
debtags development began, I started work alone on
debtags' primitive precursor debram.  One does the best
one can, but neither I nor anyone else alone has all the
needed ideas and knowledge.  Then came Enrico, Erich and
debtags.  At the risk of embarrassing Enrico, I would
observe two points:

1.  Without making a fuss over it, Enrico has poured
great quantities of personal time, skill and effort into
debtags.  If I have a sense of it (I think that I do), I
would guess that Enrico has probably contributed 1500
hours of work, the market value of which (even
discounting for the hobbyist nature of the project, but
accounting properly for the intensity and skill level)
lies in the neighborhood of EUR 40,000.

2.  Even so, Enrico has been remarkably unterritorial
about it all.  Just because he is debtags' founder,
leader and chief contributor, he has not needed to have
everything his own way.  Debtags' door has remained wide
open to welcome several others of us to make meaningful
contributions to the project.

As a result, we have been quietly laboring in the
debtags field since early 2003 (mid-2002 if one counts
debram).  The labor was rather barren at first, but "he
who sows shall not in the end fail to reap of a
harvest."  Two years later, friends, the field is
looking rather green, don't you think?  It will not be
long now, I believe, before this green field bears rich
fruit.

I hope that those of you who attended Debconf5 had an
excellent time in Finland.  Schedule permitting (if the
conference avoids the week of 9-15 July 2006), I mean to
see you at Debconf6 in Mexico next year.  By that time,
I suspect that the debtags revolution will be a nearly
accomplished fact.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road