[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jul 22 16:23:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 02:19:21PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Enrico Zini wrote:
>
> >   implemented-in and format are merged into made-of, resulting in
> >   something like this:
> >   made-of::lang-ada - Ada
> Ah!  Yes, that gets my vote.

Ok.  This change is now done.

> (Is there anything made-of::lang-fortran in the archives?)

It looks like there's nothing made of fortran.  We appear to have lots
of libraries that are useful from fortran, but no pure fortran
application.  That is interesting... I wrote to Helen of the Debian
in Science talk at Debconf5[0] to call her attention on it.

[0]
http://dc5video.debian.net/2005-07-17/ (very interesting talk)

> >   works-with::video-ogg - Ogg Vorbis Audio
> Isn't Ogg Vorbis purely audio?  ::video-ogg would be Ogg Theora.  Or
> something... I'm no expert on all this stuff with encapsulations and
> codecs; format::ogg and format::vorbis already confuse me.

You're right: that was a cut&waste problem.  In the end, I decided to
give up with the encapsulation/codec distinction and we now have:

  works-with::audio-oggvorbis
  works-with::video-oggtheora

This brings a bit more sanity :)

> >   I'm unsure where to place these, though:
> >   format::rss - RSS Rich Site Summary
> Where's the problem?  We don't have any RSS data-packages; they're
> all like works-with::mail or ::fax.

No, the problem was that they are not necessarily document, images or
any of what was already in works-with.  In the end I just created:

  works-with::xml

and then:

  works-with::xml-rss

with the nice benefit that we now have a place to put the big lot of
various dialects of XML.

I've also done some rename here and there (3d-model becomes 3dmodel to
save the hyphen to make subtags [until I'll be convinced to just use
::]; textdocument-* just became text-*; plaintext became text-plain) and
I've added rasterimage-png and rasterimage-jpg.

There's now works-with::textdocument in search of a better placement:
most of it went to text-tex, text-pdf, text-ps and so on.  However,
textdocument is now representing all the various weird formats of all
the various nutty wordprocessors (abiword, OOo) until they finally unify
on some (hopefully Oasis) open standard.  Should it become
text-wordprocessor?  text-formatted?  I'm unsure.

> It's always been when debtags-edit has been running for a long time
> (it also seems to slow down), so these days I always quit, inspect
> the patch file and restart before hitting Mail.  The one that got
> sent was full of bogus "-role::sw-utility" tags for packages I'd
> never heard of.  I can tell you its date header said:
>  sent Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:47:19 +0100
> and the followup I sent to fix it was:
>  sent Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:03:35 +0100
> But I don't remember the details.

Oh.  Unfortunately the mails are not archived at the moment.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>