[Debtags-devel] Changes done in the vocabulary (was: Proposed Debtags goals for Etch)

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jul 22 18:00:19 UTC 2005

[Note: I'm replying many mails at once, heavily reorganising the quote
 to put the various subtopics together, and splitting the result in
 different replies to start distinct subthreads.]

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:42:38PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Tag: admin::package-management
>
>  (But then again, maybe tools like debtags or pdbv don't belong in
>  "admin::" - should there be a "works-with::packages"?)

works-with::packages... yummy!  I added it, and that triggered a
redesign of the existing works-with::sourcecode and works-with::process.
They're now:

  Tag: works-with::software-package

  Tag: works-with::software-running

  Tag: works-with::software-source

I'm a bit unsure of admin::package-management, mostly because admin, in
my brain, is taking the place of 'facets to be looked at again after the
recent big refactorings'.  However, in the meantime, I'm happy to add
it.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 06:39:06PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> True enough.  (That ::music-notation tag is relatively new.)

I like it a lot!  Added.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:42:38PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Tag: implemented-in::sh
>  (Includes a lot of the #!/bin/sh scripts currently mislabelled
>  as ::bash.  Or maybe if we're reorganising these we can have an
>  all-inclusive made-of::language-shell.)

I like made-of::language-shell.  I've renamed lang-bash into lang-shell,
and now we have a place for all the others.

> Tag: langdevel::pascal
>  (For fp-compiler, gpc etcetera)

Added.

> Tag: works-with::db
>  (This tag could go on anything from a commandline db-dumper to a
>  full relational database management system, but isn't meant to
>  relate to ASCII-text datafiles as in "logcheck-database")

Yay!  And this allows me to assimilate the controversial dbtech facet
under it.  We've now also works-with::db-ldap and works-with::db-sql.
dbtech::dns has been merged into protocol::dns, and dbtech::finger has
been renamed in protocol::finger.

> Tag: suite::gimp
> Tag: suite::gkrellm
> Tag: suite::openoffice
> Tag: suite::samba
>  (I don't know how far we'd want to stretch this; some of the above
>  are listed because they have many "plugin" packages, some because
>  they specifically claim to be suites)

Added.  Suite is probably a bit of a stretch on itself, and we might do
better with a separate system to track package relationships.  Maybe a
wider use of Enhances would do, like having all zope-* packages specify
Enhances: zope.

Anyway, since the facet is there and is generally useful, it's worth
keeping it in a good shape.

> Tag: interface::svga
>  (Console apps such as dvisvga, thrust or zgv, with GUIs not
>  dependent on X and/or framebuffer.)

Right.  Added.

> Tag: works-with::log
>  (Some of these are also security::log-analyzer; most aren't)

Right, added.  I called it works-with::logfile, as it sounds clearer to
me.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:52:51AM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> And please rename langdevel::environment to langdevel::ide!

Finally done!

Ciao,

Enrico

--