[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Jul 23 23:02:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:25:00PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> > Try tagging packages as "works-with" or "made-of".
> > Now that after the restructuring the facets are more well-defined, the
> > difference gets more and more evident.
> Yeah, the difference between tags and tags that must not be used alone. ;-)
> But "works-with::audio" is still somewhere inbetween of a tag and a facet.
> on the one hand it's like an works-with-audio facet, on the other hand
> it' a works-with::audio:unspecified tag.

Eric, I don't know if it's me unable to explain it or you unable to
understand it, or if it's you too lazy or busy to change the
packagebrowser and thus looking for a way out, or me being totally wrong
and unable to see it.  But one thing I know: this recurring conversation
with you is becoming a nightmare for me.

So, I'll try again.

We have facets.  A facet is a group of tags that describe a specific
aspect of a package.  It defines one axis of the coordinate system along
which the packages tags move.

Then we have tags, that place a package along the axis defined by their
facet.

When we have a "works-with" facet, we define a point of view.  All the
tags inside it will try to describe what is that the package can work
with.

We've recently expanded to allow subtags, which allow us to place the
packages along an axis with a different level of detail.

You can think of 'facets' as 'axis' in space (X, Y, Z, ..), and you can
think of 'tags' as 'numbers'.  You can think of tags with subtags as
numbers with some digits after the comma.

You don't mix axes with values.  They are different.  Axes define a
direction; values define a position.

When you say 'works-with::audio', you are giving a position on the
'works-with' axis.  When you say 'works-with::audio:mp3' you're giving a
more precise position.  But in both cases, the axis is still
'works-with'.

Please, tell me this is clear...

Ciao,

Enrico