[Debtags-devel] The culture can of worms (was: Proposed Debtags goals for Etch)

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Mon Jul 25 10:01:11 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini wrote:
> The culture facet is a huge can of worms.

You're right.  I'm sorry I brought it up; maybe it would help cool
things down if we avoided thinking in terms of "cultures" - after
all, people are going to be using it to arrange for output in their
preferred language/writing system, not to decide whether they should
play baseball or bocce.

The only part of that whole section that really mattered was the part
I hid away in brackets (aka "parentheses"):

>> Oh, and we're also short of ::breton, gaelic, galician,
>> latin, latvian, lithuanian, manx, slovenian, swahili, swedish,
>> swissgerman and tagalog.  How'd we get ::faroese before ::swedish?

Can we get ::swedish into the vocabulary (alongside the three
different kinds of Norwegian...!?) before those German news articles
reach Scandinavia?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)