[Debtags-devel] Debtags use case

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 13:17:42 UTC 2005

Erich Schubert wrote:
>> To me this has always seemed a bit poorly-organised.  Couldn't we
>> have a general protocol::im tag, with sub-tags for ::im:aol,
>> ::im:icq etc?
>
> You could debate that jabber isn't a mere IM protocol, and in fact
> both MSN and Yahoo do IIRC support video conferencing and such kind of
> stuff.
> So filing them below IM isn't accurate IMHO.

The question is, are users going to want to do searches that treat
them as a natural group?  I think they are.  And I think the label
we apply to the group has to focus on their messaging functions.
That label may be a little out of date, but it's certainly no worse
than talking about "floppy disks"!

It's just a suggestion, though - the one leftover I didn't bother
mentioning even when I went through my gripes list a month ago.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)