[Debtags-devel] Two new tags?

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Oct 29 12:13:11 UTC 2005

Erich Schubert wrote:
>> "apt-cache pkgnames | grep ^zsh | wc -l" = 8.  If the criterion is
>> simply being a set of five or more packages, it's a suite.  If there
>
> No, I said that if it's a suite of more than 5 packages we should add a tag!

Exactly.  And I said
1) define "suite" (this is where we started)
2) the cut-off point should be higher.
Indeed, by rejecting my random-sample suite::abiword you've
demonstrated that you agree with me that we *shouldn't* have tags
for self-proclaied "suites" with slightly over five members.

>> Openoffice and xfce already are suites, the gnome and kde office
>> suites are subsets of the existing suite::gnome and ::kde, and the
>
> There is nothing wrong with being a subset. you might want to run
> gnome-office on a KDE system, too. Or koffice on Gnome.

Maybe.  Would we want them tagged "suite::kde suite::koffice" or
"suite::kde:office"?

>> others don't exist - or anyway, "apt-cache pkgnames | grep ^$FOO"
>> gets me no hits for stable/main.  (Ah, wait, a wave of "^eclipse-"
>> packages has just reached my testing box!)
>
> LAMP* is an abbreviation, so you of course won't find it with
> pkgnames.  But I can assure you that linux, apache, mysql,
> perl/php/python have been a part of Debian for a long time...

Ah, it's webdeveloper jargon; it would never have occurred to me to
call these a "suite".  You can't expect me to be any help tagging
the right things (would every single package tagged suite::apache
also be in suite::lamp?  How about all the linux-source packages?),
so what's your plan for getting all the appropriate packages tagged?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)