[proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Apr 1 13:49:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 19:32 +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> > Justin B Rye wrote:
> > How about changing the debtags "suite::" facet to "project::" - it
> > works neatly for project::gnome, ::debian-med, etc.
> I think the potential for misunderstanding is quite low, and not
> critical. Thus I think we should stick with the existing solution here.

I agree.  Besides, "project" is less precise than "suite".  Projects
make suites.  They can also make multiple suites.  The project == suite
equivalance doesn't hold universally even though it is often the case
that single project can be responsible for a single suite.  Furthermore,
projects can make things other than suites (single packages, or entire
OS distributions).

As for dak's use of "suite" to mean "testing", "stable", etc. I don't
see the clash.  People don't get confused that there's a tuxpaint
project, a GNOME project and a Debian project.  Neither should they be
confused that tuxpaint is in the Debian Jr. suite, which is looked after
by the Debian Jr. project, and which is also a part of the Debian
"testing" suite.

Ben Armstrong