[proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Apr 1 23:23:31 UTC 2006

Ben Armstrong wrote:
> As for dak's use of "suite" to mean "testing", "stable", etc. I don't
> see the clash.  People don't get confused that there's a tuxpaint
> project, a GNOME project and a Debian project.  Neither should they be
> confused that tuxpaint is in the Debian Jr. suite, which is looked after
> by the Debian Jr. project, and which is also a part of the Debian
> "testing" suite.

I've certainly known newbies to be confused by the idea that the
word for what Woody/Sarge/Etch/Sid are is "suites".  It's not that
the label is inaccurate, it's just that it's vague and arbitrary -
we might equally well talk about a "base suite", or a "contrib
suite".  What people seem to expect is that Woody/Sarge/Etch/Sid are
"releases" (which isn't quite right, even if they do each have a
Release.gz).

I think "branches" was the answer, but it's too late now.  Anyway,
now I've woken up again I should do some more tagging...
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)