DOAP and Debtags and RDF and tags as URIs

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Apr 7 10:59:34 UTC 2006

Hello,

from http://www.oblomovka.com/entries/2004/07/29#1091126400 I read:

"Q and As: Edd says he's deliberately staying out of category
discussions. You can add categories by just pointing to URI of the
category -- so you can point to Freshmeat categories, Debian tags, etc.
And of course because it's RDF, you can assert relationships between
those categories."

The concept of being able to point at Debian tags as a URI is indeed
interesting and useful, except that our vocabulary is restructured over
time.

I was thinking that we can take at least some of the facets that are
more stable and create permanent links to them.  http://www.purl.org can
help, or we can register debtags.debian.net, or both.

A tag uri could be something like:

  http://debtags.debian.net/vocabulary/works-with/image:raster

I have no idea however about what needs to come out at that URL: a piece
of XML?  A piece of RDF?  A piece of DTD?  Anything we like, like a page
with all the packages with that tag, or a cheerful group picture of all
of us?

Also, it might be worthwile considering to start versioning the
vocabulary, so we can manage changes more gracefully:

  http://debtags.debian.net/vocabulary/1.0/works-with/image:raster

We could even decide that adding a tag doesn't change the version, but
renaming or removing a tag does since it would invalidate previous