debtags debian packages

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Apr 20 13:15:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 02:32:09PM +0200, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> I don't know very well C++ but i can learn anyway ;). It isn't a problem
> at all...

Things could get tricky by the level of usage we have in the various
debtags packages.  But maybe you can get away with a very good knowledge
of the linker :)

> So, do you think, i can  adopt all debtags packages without problem ? If
> yes, i can tag the RFA bug as ITA. What do you think ?

I think we better do comaintainance, together with Jeroen van Wolffelaar
who already knows the debtags toolchain.

There's this tagcoll upload to do now, it's quite a simple one and it
doesn't require rebuilding of the rest of the toolchain.

I suggest Jeroen does it, and in the meantime you get acquainted with
the various debtags packages by trying to rebuild the entire thing in a
pbuilder.  That way when the need comes, we all know what to do :)

The involved packages are:

  tagcoll
  tagcolledit (build-depends on tagcoll)
  libapt-front (build-depends on tagcoll)
  debtags (build-depends on libapt-front)
  debtags-edit (build-depends on libapt-front)

All the libraries currently change ABI and API quite often, and so are
shipped as static libraries only.  This means that most times a library
changes, all the reverse build dependencies need to be rebuilt with the
new version and reuploaded.

This current tagcoll upload is a lucky shot because I only fixed the
tests, so it doesn't impact on the rest of the toolchain.

Note that if you rebuild a new version of tagcoll and then you try to
rebuild tagcolledit in pbuilder, pbuilder will by default fetch the old
libtagcoll-dev from the ftp servers: you need a bit of pbuilder hackery
to get it right, and that's one of the main reasons I'm calling for
help: I want to focus on the upstream source rather than in setting up
complex build systems.

> PS: i don't  post this mail to the debtags-devel  mailing list because i
> don't  think it  would be  very interesting,  but if  you agree  with my
> packaging proposal, i will send  a mail to debtags-devel, telling that i
> will take care of the packages.

Please trust me if I say that we should move this conversation to the
debtags list: it is low traffic and anything even remotely related to
debtags is very welcome.

Ok, so if you agree let's do this: Jeroen takes care of this tagcoll
upload fixing a fairly urgent FTBFS bug.  In the mean you try rebuilding
the entire thing in pbuilder (maybe tweaking versions and versioned
depends so you're sure you're building using the new packages).  If you
manage, then you're superwelcome in the group of comaintainers :)

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>