If I do tagging, will it be used?

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sun Aug 6 22:31:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 12:05:27AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:

> But then there's also another recent idea: allowing maintainers to put
> tags in the debian/control file.  It's easy to create a script that:
> computes the differences between what's in debian/control and what's in
> the central database; asks the maintainer for approval; sends the
> correction to the central database; updates the control file.  Easier
> than creating that web interface.  And one can have both: packages that
> use tags in debian/control (e.g. where the maintainer would like to
> control the tags) and packages that get the tags via the overrides
> created using the reviewed tags.

I've written such script:

  svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/debtags/1.6.0/debtags-updatecontrol

To try it, add an empty "Tag:" field in a binary package record of your
debian/control, then run the script.  It will:

 * check changes in the debtags database on alioth
 * ask you to approve them
 * send a patch with the changes you rejected.

This scripts gives an easy way for maintainers to approve tag changes
before uploading their package.

What would be missing now is a way to see which packages supply a Tag:
header in the control file: for those packages I need to get the
Tag: overrides removed, otherwise it will have precedence.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>