How to define feature set of libraries

Matthias Stürmer mstuermer at ethz.ch
Wed Aug 30 12:52:36 UTC 2006

Hi Enrico

Sorry for the email error, I've now changed my subscriber address to the
one of ETHZ. And yes, unfortunately I forgot the copy to mailing list.
Anyway, now it should be on there ;)

>                 I think we lack some sort of library-centered use
>                 facet, listing a
>                 series of more technical tags.  Like,
>                 usedevel::linear-algebra,
>                 usedevel::fft, usedevel::parsing, usedevel::rendering,
>                 usedevel::gui-components...  That is something I meant
>                 to propose to the
>                 list for quite a while.

This sounds very interesting for us! Although "use" is good for end user
applications and for a broad description of functionality, we'd welcome
a tagging system more appropriate for the features of libraries. It
needs to be different from the "works-with" facet concerning file
formats and address more developer oriented aspects, as you described in
the examples above.

Why not call it generically "feature"? Of course we'd have to make sure
that we only tag on a reasonable high but still specific level of
library features to prevent non-sense tags like
"feature::drag-n-drop"... Although there is a large spectrum of how to
implement a feature, I think at least for libraries we should be able to
define an appropriate set of options.

BTW concerning this issue I'd like to ask how to modify the available
options in debtags-edit? Does anybody know?

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Stürmer | +41 44 632 89 13 | +41 76 368 81 65
mstuermer at ethz.ch | http://www.smi.ethz.ch