Notes from today's tag review

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Feb 9 15:13:07 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've been terribly slacking with reviewing the central tag database and
providing an update for the tags in the Packages file.  Now I'm back on
it.

It's a terribly boring task, that could use both automation and help.

I've been working on a shell script to streamline the process.  I'm
using it now and I'll write more about it later.

Some notes about what I've found:

 - lots of mistaggings of +role::sw:devel-lib

   role::sw:devel-lib has been assigned to shared libraries (libgeoip1
   and hundreds others), -doc libraries and plain non-libraries
   (uptimed, xdelta, sablotron, pinball...)

   TODO: try improving the description of the tag.
	 Ok lib*-dev, ok lib*-pic, ok libraries with weird names such as
	 e2fslibs, ok lib*-perl, lib*-ruby, python-*, lib*-ocaml-dev,
	 lib*-java, php4-*, r-*...
	 Not ok lib*0, lib*-dbg, lib*-common, lib*-doc, lib*-bin,
	 lib*-ocaml, *-source unless it's the source of a development
	 library (are there any?), non libraries.

 - lots of mistaggings of +role::content:data

   role::content:data has been assigned mainly to documentation, java,
   perl, python libraries, videogames

   TODO: try improving the description of the tag.
         Ok *-data, *-music, *-sound, some -common only containing
	 datafiles
	 Not ok *-doc, packages consisting mainly of code (source or
	 compiled), some -common only containing documentations or
	 scripts, *-example (which would fit more in role::content:doc)

I stop here for now, do some hacking and come back to the job.

Stats after reviewing these two tags:

  1752 packages patched with 568 different types of changes

Argh...

Ciao,

Enrico

--