[proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Wed Feb 22 16:04:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I'm wondering if other CDDs may wish to do something similar.  If so, it
> would be useful to have a "cdd::" aspect to differentiate between
> different groups of packages within the cdd.  Thus, dropping 'priority'
> because I don't think it adds much, we might tag every package in Debian
> Jr. with:
>
> cdd::junior::core
> cdd::junior::extra

I plan to do this since several month but my time currently does not
permit it (and will not until this summer because).  I'm in favour of

    cdd::med::<something>

for Debian-Med while I'm not convinced that I will drop the
meta packages approach.

> It's an aspect of the software itself, not of
> the Debian jr. project, even though the Debian jr. project will take a
> hand in supplying these tags.

Sure.  This is the same for all CDDs: Software is designed to
satisfy a certain class of users and the different CDDs take
care for these different classes.

> I think the top-level aspect should be "audience::" (as in MARC audience
> level) and we need to further differentiate between "interest age" and
> other possible subclassifications (e.g. "reading grade" in a school
> system) that, although not currently interesting to Debian Jr., might be
> interesting to other Debian developers and users (e.g. debian-edu, which
> I have just added to the CC).

Especially for debian-jr and debian-edu I see some intersection
that should be reasonable reflected in the tags.

> audience::interest-age::0to2  (sensorimotor stage: keyboard-bangers, etc)
> audience::interest-age::2to4  (early preoperational thought: simple toys, short attention span)
> audience::interest-age::4to7  (later preoperational thought: more creative toys/games, longer attention span)
> audience::interest-age::7to11  (concrete operations: more emphasis on reading, more complex UI)
> audience::interest-age::11to15 (formal operations: requires abstract thinking)
> audience::interest-age::adult
>
> Comments?  Suggestions?

Not at first glance - seems well thought.

> Rotten tomatoes?

I'm sorry, not in winter time.  We've got a certain amount of
snow ...

Kind regards

            Andreas.

--