If I do tagging, will it be used?

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Fri Jul 14 23:37:38 UTC 2006

Enrico Zini wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>>  jbr at xamanek:~$ sudo debtags update
>>  E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/apt could not be found.
>>  E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/apt could not be found.
>>  debtags: ConsistencyCheckException: Acquirer failed
>
> Sounds like an older version of debtags which doesn't understand the
> apt:// tag source.  Is you debtags version >= 1.5.4 ?  That is the
> version where apt:// has been added.

It's still 1.5.2+b2 in Etch.  The version I temporarily installed on
Wednesday was 1.5.5+b1, which also pulled in apt-index-watcher.

>>> You can checkout old versions from the database and tagcoll diff.
>> I expect you can, but I'm best off sticking with what I've got.
>
> Could you describe me what is the method that you've got?  In designing
> newer ways of doing things, I wouldn't want to make people's life
> harder.

I'm just using:

 cp /var/cache/debtags/d*current.gz ~/
 sudo debtags update
 zdiff ~/d*current.gz /var/cache/debtags/d*current.gz

Not that I'm doing any tagging just now.  Last time I tried I got a
reply full of "Unknown tag" lines.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)