Tag reorganization proposal: works-with::*, filetransfer::*, protocol::*

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Thu Jun 29 17:13:39 UTC 2006

> works-with::db:ldap - LDAP database
>  -> protocol::ldap
> works-with::db:sql - SQL database
>  -> works-with::db
>  -> protocol::db-mysql
>  -> protocol::db-postgres
>  -> protocol::db-db2
>  -> protocol::db-oracle
>  -> protocol::db-sybase
>  -> protocol::db-...
I don't understand why grouping is now so despised. I realised that, as
Peter pointed out, it was abused in some places, but I don't think this
is a reason to discard it alltogether. If there is a natural grouping
and not something we only introduced to reduce UI/vocabulary  complexity
I think it is reasonable to reflect this grouping in the vocabulary.
Otherwise we would discard valuable information. Obviously we could well
use a hyphen as the new group seperator but that's not the point and it
could conflict with existing uses of hyphens (same applies to
protocol::ipc-* mentioned below in your post). If you don't like the
notation of grouping we could as well have a special field:
        In-Group: db

I don't think grouping tags inside a facet is evil, and I also think
that this information belongs at the vocabulary level and not the UI
level. But of course I might be convinced, that this is not so.

Best regards

Ben