Questions about Ubuntu

Thaddeus H. Black t at b-tk.org
Mon Mar 6 18:42:05 UTC 2006

[Thread branched from debian-vote over to debtags-devel.]

On debian-vote, David N. Welton wrote:
> The reason Debian can't compete with Ubuntu for the Desktop/new to Linux
> users is that Ubuntu makes choices where Debian won't or can't.  They
> give you a default system that works well because they picked certain
> things instead of others, instead of giving you the huge amount of
> choice Debian gives you right out of the box.  The clever thing is that
> that choice is still there if you want it...

We have discussed the same matter from several perspectives over time
here on debtags-devel.  I admit that I retain some misgivings about
Ubuntu more generally, but I also feel that David makes an indisputable
point.

Now, I do not really mean to reopen an old debate on debtags-devel
today.  I think that we had this debate last year here.  You all were
very polite to me, but clearly Erich and I lost that debate, fair and
square.  Enrico's perspective in the matter remains entirely valid and,
of course, he not I is the one who has earned the right to make Debtags
decisions in the matter.  But I will also say that I personally retain
an interest in working on precisely the problem David cites (and I don't
think that Enrico opposes me in this, so long as it is not done within
the Debtags framework).  This means discriminating editorially between
packages.  It means subdividing the vast "optional" archive Priority in
some meaningful sense.

Maybe some year I'll actually find the time to start working on this
problem.  In the meantime, David, if you mean to start some work on it
now, I must say, I for one would be heavily inclined to back you.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road
+1 540 961 0920, t at b-tk.org, thb at debian.org