Some questions about Debtags

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Wed Nov 8 21:06:02 CET 2006

Hello,

> Anyway, this documentations seems to be a bit out of date: in my
> understanding, the correct tag to tell a program is written in C is
> implemented-in::c, and at least debtags-edit seems to agree with me.

Quoting Enrico's email from  from july:
---- Begin ----
me and mornfall had a long IRC conversation about changes to the
vocabulary.

[...]

First one: made-of::*

mornfall> in the meantime, the basic changes would be
          s/made-of::lang:/implementation-language::/ (or
implemented-in::, not
          sure)
enrico> I'd say "implemented-in", as it is what it was :)

So:

  made-of::lang:*   ->   implemented-in::*
---- End ----

So, yes implemented-in:: is the way to go.
        debtags tagcat |grep made-of
actually lists no made-of::lang:* tag any more for me.

> On the other hand, both DebTagsFacets and DebTaggingGuidelines in the wiki
> seems to suggest the correct tag is made-of::lang:c -- and a lot of packages
> in Debian currently use this tag.
Yeah, documentation is a weak point...

> Another thing I think is not clear is where the uitoolkit::tk tag can be used.
> While the description says "Tk (for TCL)", I don't see any reason not to use
> it for software written in Python and using the Tkinter module.
> A lot of Python/Tk packages in Debian already use it: is that wrong?
Agreed, if Enrico could you please change that?

Best regards

Ben