Using the new editor

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Nov 18 11:24:30 CET 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:07:19AM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:

> Whoa, thats really great!
> Can you make suggestions the default page maybe?

I'd like to, and instead of "Relevant tags" I'd like to use something
like "Search tags".  It's nontrivial to see how to fit all this lot of
information elegantly.

It would be very useful if someone (!= me) could make prototypes, as my
brain is dirty with the inside working of the webapp, and as such is bad
at producing nice interfaces.

> I was looking for use::development, is there any such thing?
> it was some QT docs package I had reached for tagging.

It's been discussed before:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2005-September/000816.html
the thread didn't seem to reach any consensus.

Anyway, devel::doc seems to apply in your case.

> What algorithm are you using for calculating the suggestions?

I'm asking xapian to give me a list of packages similar to the one
being edited, then I take their tags, sorted by how many times they
appear in the list.

The only thing xapian knows about the packages is the normalised,
stermmed tokens in their English descriptions: it's doing a remarkably
decent job with only that, and I get the feature for free since I'm
using the xapian index for the full text search anyway.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>