suite::mpd (Was: Tag request: suite::xmms2)

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Mon Nov 27 23:43:26 CET 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:49:26 +0000
Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 06:43:01PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>
> > I wonder if we should also add a suite::mpd tag.
> > There are currently sevent programs in testing providing the mpd-client
> > virtual package, and some other packages containing libraries related to
> > mpd.
>
> I don't know: for xmms2 it was quite uncontroversial since we still have
> xmms, and apt-cache search xmms2 shows a long list of plugins.
>
> I don't know about mpd, and the suite::* facet is a controversial one:
>
> I wouldn't object adding a suite::mpd, but I don't want to end up with
> an unmanageable facet that has a tag every 15 Debian packages.
>
> Where to draw the line, I currently have no idea.

I never actually used xmms2 (stuck with the first version for quick mp3
playback, using mpd for all the rest), but reading its description it seems
to me that it's really similar to mpd -- client/server model, multiple UIs
available (both textual and graphical)...

The main difference I can see is that mpd doesn't support plugins AFAIK, and
has far more clients available.

--
KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>
"Like Russian Rulette with six bullets loaded"