Python prototypes and smart search GUI

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Sep 18 12:40:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:22:16PM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

>         sub.card(tag) / full.card(tag) * sqrt[full.card(tag) / full.packageCount()]
> Why do you divide by full.packageCount() inside the square root? As long
> as the full collection stays the same for all tags (which I suppose it
> does) this will not change the relation between packages. This is,
> because the equation can be rewritten to:
>         [ sub.card(tag) / full.card(tag) * sqrt(full.card(tag)) ] / sqrt(full.packageCount())
> and the additional factor would be meaningless for the '<' '=' '>'
> relations (as long as it is positive anyways...).

You are absolutely right.  And it allows me to simplify even further:

       sub.card(tag) / full.card(tag) * sqrt(full.card(tag)) ==
    == sub.card(tag) / sqrt(full.card(tag))

With such a sorter expression, it's faster to compute, and I might even
be able to properly formalise why it works one day :)

> Very good, I think a very useful feature is, to be able to enter a new
> search expression to get a new tag set. This allows for an incremental
> search using tags. I think I will steal some ideas there :-)

Go on, by all means :)

Ciao,

Enrico

--