Status of debtags in unstable

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Sep 30 08:12:40 UTC 2006

Hello,

I did quite a bit of work yesterday, and here's a little summary of the
situation.

With the ironing out of an interesting FTBFS on some architectures[1],
tagcoll2 is in.  This gives us a neater tagcoll, refactored, cleaner,
and with support for computing relevant and discriminant tags.

tagcoll2 enables us to have libept in, but this still isn't possible.
libept FTBFS due to a mistake of mine in the dependencies, but I can't
upload a new one yet because it would fail linking with APT (#390189)
unless APT is rebuilt.  But a bin-nmu of APT cannot be done because of
#359634.  So I prepared a NMU of APT and uploaded it to delayed/7 days,
and I'm waiting for mvo to come online to ask him if it's ok to hurry it
up.

Once I manage to get libept in, I can finally upload the new debtags.
What's cool about it is the smart search feature, and the new database
indexing procedure, which follows the plan in [2].  It also includes
debtags-updatecontrol.

With the new libept we can roll in debtags-edit and packagesearch,
already ported to it, so that they won't require apt-index-watcher to
run and they'll automatically rebuild the index if needed (in ~/.debtags
if run by non-root).

At this point the only thing left out would be adept.  If mornfall can't
make it to port it to libept for etch, we will update libapt-front so
that it delegates rebuilding debtags-related indexes to something based
on libept (possibly just "debtags update").

So, apt-index-watcher wasn't in sarge, and it looks like it won't be in
sid.  If we manage to never include it in a stable Debian release, that
is cool!

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] some intermixing of size_t and unsigned int were causing gcc to
realize that two structures that were intended to be the same actually
weren't, for those arches (the 64bit ones) where the two types have
different size.
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2006-August/001327.html
--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>