Crossing debtags and popcon

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Fri Feb 2 11:18:54 CET 2007

Enrico Zini wrote:
> have a look: http://people.debian.org/~enrico/popsuggest.php
>
> Given a popcon submission,

Doesn't work from Stable, by the way... which is probably a good
thing.  But it reminds me: we've not detectably been thinking about
the issue of Debian releases in the development of the debtags
infrastructure.  If your /etc/apt/sources.list specifies "etch" and
your /etc/debtags/sources.list points at the alioth tag-archive, you
are currently capable of making useful contributions; but after the
release, you're going to start seeing inapplicable tags (eg: Etch's
foo-media-player being role::dummy, Lenny/Sid's being role::program
works-with-format::mp4) and you may even end up misguidedly
contributing "corrections".  Is there any plan to set up separate
tag (and vocabulary?) archives?

> it finds similar systems and provide package
> suggestions based on them.  Then the results are presented broken down
> by tag, and tags can also be used to filter the results to specific
> contexts (like games, gui apps or software development).

For me (on Frozen) mostly "the rest of field::linguistics" and "if
you like cheap and nasty uitoolkits, then you'll love these..."

> I think it's a remarkable prototype showing the potential that we all
> have.

Particularly useful for people freshly upgraded from Sarge.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)