Fancy shellish prototype

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Feb 5 22:57:10 CET 2007

Hello,

As you know, I'd like to experiment with prototyping some new interface
concepts for package managers.

I put together a prototype backend and hacked a cmd-based shell
interface for it.

You should be able to fetch it with:

bzr branch http://people.debian.org/~enrico/2007-01/popcon/

The files involved are pm.py, pmnew and a very little bit of anapop.py.

You run it with ./pmnew.

The commands are:

 * search Set the search string for tags
 * tags Show the list of available tags
 * desired Set a tag as desired: only packages having that tag will be shown
 * undesired Set a tag as undesired: packages having that tag will not be shown
 * nevermind Set a tag as neither desired nor undesired
 * filter Limit results to a specific kind of packages (any, devel, games, gui...)
 * packages Show the (filtered) list of available packages
 * info Show details about a package
 * install Install a package
 * quit Quit the program

This can be an example session to try:

   tags
   search toy
   tags
   packages
   tags
   desired 1
   packages
   info 3

If you:

 * have popularity-contest installed and running
 * are online
 * have a writable directory called ~/.debtags

then the list of available packages will be sorted using my recent web interface prototype for popcon-based suggestions.

Matt Good and Thomas Viehmann volunteered to have a try at a GUI.

This can only be fun.

Ciao,

Enrico

--