New 'maint' facet for Debtags

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Sep 17 11:50:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

in #436161 I proposed to have some external tag sources automatically
merged into the override files.  An example is a tag source provided by
the security team: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=20;att=0;bug=436161

In the same way we can have an autogenerated 'maint' facet with tags
documenting the status of the package maintenance.

Below is an example vocabulary for it, with annotations on how to
autogenerate the tag information.  I'd like to run some discussion on it
for a week or so, then proceed to implementation.

Facet: maint

Tag: maint::orphaned
 There is no maintainer for this package.  Maintenance is done by the Debian QA
 Team.
(it can be autogenerated by looking if debian-qa is in the Maintainer field)

Tag: maint::rfa
 The maintainer is still maintaning the package, but has requestes for someone
 else to take over its maintenance.
(it can be autogenerated by scanning open WNPP bugs)

Tag: maint::mia
 The maintainer for this package is currently unreachable.
(mia-query on merkel shows all sorts of data, but I need to see how it
can be turned in a tag.  It has been suggested that if a maintainer is
MIA, the package should just be orphaned, so this tag would be of no
use, and I tend to agree)

Tag: maint::old-rc-bugs
 The package has unfixed RC bugs older than 3 months.
(it can be autogenerated by scanning the BTS)

Tag: maint::fringe
 The maintainer declared this to be a fringe package.
 .
 (TODO: define what this practically means)
 .
 (from IRC) more users == greater level of peer review and peer support?
(maintainers can enter this information in debian/control and I can scan it using Mole)

Tag: maint::unmaintained-upstream
 The package is not maintained anymore by its upstream developers.
 .
 Debian still carries on basic maintenance, but no new upstream versions of the
 package are to be expected.
(maintainers can enter this information in debian/control and I can scan it using Mole)

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>