When are debtags synchronized with the Packages list?

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Jun 25 02:17:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:08:52PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

> (I looked in the FAQ but didn't find the answer :))

Heh. I've always wished this could be changed before the need came to
document it, because it really isn't good as it is now.

> When are the debtags from Packages.gz updated from
> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/ ?

About once a month. It needs to be done manually because the submissions
need to be reviewed, and I do it in batches: it's similar to, and about
as fun as going through an unfiltered mailbox to separate spam and ham.

> For example, the 'goplay' interface presents games that people can
> install, sorted by tags.  However it only show packages that were
> tagged.  Using the website I tagged a few games that were missing, and
> now I'm wondering what is the next step to have them listed in
> 'goplay'.

Ping me is currently the best thing to do, and you have done it :)
I've just done a review and uploaded the new tags: they should reach the
Packages file in at most a couple of days.

I'm currently waiting for debconf to discuss with the ftp-masters about
this proposal: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/02/msg00942.html
which might introduce the idea of maintainers doing at least some of the
tag review.

In the long term, I'd like to write some web interface for authenticated
people to do the review, and maybe lock some tags from editing. The
idea would be, for example, to put the games team in charge of the games
tags, or the perl team in charge of perl tags.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>