Missing tags: protocol::rsync, protocol::ntp

Seo Sanghyeon sanxiyn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:31:57 UTC 2009

2009/10/3 Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org>:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 02:25:21PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>> debmirror currently has tags showing it supports ftp and http, but it also
>> supports transfers using rsync. However, a protocol tag for that is not
>> available. Please consider adding it.
>
> In particular, can you please mention 6/7 other packages that would have
> the proposed new tags applied?

I also doubt usefulness of protocol::rsync -- do people care about rsync
*protocol*, which is undocumented, volatile, and currently at version 30,
rather than rsync *alogirhtm*? But if it's just algorithm, it doesn't seem
to offer much over use::synchronizing.

On the other hand, it could be applied to:

Implementations: there are only two implementations of rsync protocol
I am aware of: rsync and libfile-rsyncp-perl. The former is the reference
implementation (currently version 30 with compatibility back to version 20),
the later implements version 26. librsync1 is not wire-compatible.

Clients: Most just invoke rsync. debmirror as mentioned, and apt-proxy.
backuppc uses File::RsyncP. VCSs: bzrtools, git-core. More backups:
backintime-common, dirvish, luckybackup. I think we are over 10 now.

--
Seo Sanghyeon